Thursday, September 15, 2011

Roasted Chili, Corn & Potato Stew


Alright, this was supposed to be a chowder, but I didn't have any cream, so it became a stew (really the only difference between a stew and a chowder, right?)

This stew is perfect for a chilly, Autumn day (it was 92 degrees here haha). The carrot and white corn add a sweet bite, the roasted chilies give it a smokey flavor and a bit of a kick. An overall comforting meal :)

1 yellow onion, finely minced
1 large Russet potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4-6 carrots (I used yellow & orange...whatever works!) cut the same size as the potato.
2 cups corn (fresh off the cob is wonderful)
2-4 Anaheim chili peppers, roasted, skinned, finely minced (or any kind of peppers you like...jalapenos, poblanos, etc.)
A large handful Italian parsley, rough chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp dried thyme
salt & pepper
5 cups veggie broth
3 tablespoons olive oil + 1Tbsp
4 tablespoons flour


In a large pot on med-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook the onion, potato and carrots until they start to soften a bit. Add the garlic, cumin, thyme. Add the broth and the roasted/peeled/finely minced peppers (I'm sorry I don't have a pic of the chilies...oops). , bring to a simmer and let it cook for about 10 minutes or until the veggies are done. In a separate pan, on med-high heat, add 3 tablespoons olive oil and 4 tablespoons flour, to make the roux. Whisk pretty constantly so the roux doesn't burn, but until it's golden and smells toasty. Add about 2 cups of the hot stew liquid to the roux, whisking until smooth, then add it all back to the stew pot. This will thicken it up a bit. Add the corn and the Italian parsley, salt & pepper to taste. You can also add a cup of heavy cream, if you like it creamy :)



Served with Focaccia. I had some leftover pizza dough from the other day, so I shaped it into a circle, rubbed olive oil and salt on top, then baked on 425 for about 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. good way to get rid of pizza dough, I love Foccccia bread! lol I spelled it just like you did :) Is the Roasted Chili, Corn & Potato Stew hot and spicy? looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, thanks for letting me know about my typo! I hope more people will let me know when I make one :)

    The stew is a little bit spicy...you can add in as many chilies as you'd like, to make it as mild or hot as you like :)

    ReplyDelete