Friday, September 9, 2011

pickles


Refrigerator pickles are simple to make and so tasty! This is a great way to "get rid of" all of those summer cucumbers. My Aunt made some of these pickles a couple of weeks ago (I have been drooling over her picture-I am too far away to actually taste them), and they've been on my mind since then, so I had to give them a try. I couldn't find a recipe that I liked, so I revised a few of them to my liking. This will make about a quart of pickles/juice (2+ Mason jars).

In a sauce pan add:
3/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1.5 cups sugar
1 tablespoon pickling spice
1-2 teaspoons red chili flakes
pinch of salt
Bring all of this to a gentle boil, remove from heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.

About 4 cups of assorted veggies:
Cucumbers sliced 1/8 inch thick
Bell pepper (any color will do)
Red onion
Jalapeno (I didn't add it, but I will next time!)

Using distilled glass jars & lids, pack the veggies into the jars...really, put as many as you can fit in there. Pour the hot pickling liquid into the jars so the veggies are covered. Screw the lids on and wait for them to cool down before putting into the fridge. I started munching on them about 45 minutes later, but they were even better the next day! They're sweet & tangy and the red pepper flakes give them a little kick. They'll be at their best for up to 2 weeks, and save the pickling juice...you can keep adding veggies and they'll keep pickling!  Happy pickling!




1 comment:

  1. thanks for the Pickle recipe they are so easy to make and so good! love all your food pictures

    ReplyDelete